Mathematics, perhaps, is the most important subject, to be taught, in any institution, in any university, in any country. The development of mathematics traces back to the people of stone-age and is applied to every facet of life, every walk, every sphere of life. Finance, Commerce, social sciences, medicines, engineering and infact all the disciplines can not be studied without good knowledge of mathematics. Mathematics is the language of science and technology and undoubtedly it is the mother of all sciences.
Mathematics is widely used, but often in an unseen and unadvertised way, such as: Voyagers journey and planets could not have been calculated without the use of mathematics of differential equations. The development of computers was initiated by mathematicians. Whenever advances are made with super computer, there has to be a mathematical theory behind that to direct, what is to be done. The next generation of software requires the latest methods known as category theory, a theory of mathematical structure which has yielded new perspectives. Physical sciences, viz. physics, astronomy, oceanography, chemistry require mathematics for developing their own theories. Statistics is essentially required in medicines for analyzing data of illness and on using new drugs. Travelling in an aeroplane would not be possible without knowing the mathematics of airflow and control systems. Mathematics is needed in rapid calculations in war time, particularly in ballistics and in decoding.
Mathematics is a wonderful and exciting perfect subject for those who want to be successful in their career. In the present era, when there are no sharp boundaries between the flow of knowledge in terms of subjects, address to the development of designing of interdisciplinary subjects particularly that of interdisciplinary mathematics has become quite essential.
The department of mathematics has worked tirelessly, to design the courses in mathematics for the university to cater to the needs of developments in general, needs of other subjects in particular, and also keeping in mind the growth and the demands of the society, the expansion needs and the problems of the country.
For students of mathematics the whole world is an AVENUE for job. Any company, any industry, any institute, any college or any university, need persons with background in mathematics. However, avenues for students pursuing mathematics at the university, broadly, can be classified into the following:
- To be appointed as consultant/advisor in any company run by private sector or by the government.
- To be appointed in banks, insurance sector or any financial concern, run privately or by the government, for maximization of their output.
- To be appointed as research analyst in any research institute or any company, run by any sector, related to finance or otherwise including planning commission world bank etc.
- To be appointed for teaching and research in any college, institute or university. Infact any teaching institution begins, even at its nascent stage, with teaching of subject of mathematics.
- Above 95 % aggregate marks in qualifying exam; 100 % on Tuition fee
- 90 % to 94.99 % aggregate marks in qualifying exam; 50 % on Tuition fee
- 85 % to 89.99 % aggregate marks in qualifying exam; 20 % on Tuition fee
- 80 % to 84.99 % aggregate marks in qualifying exam; 15 % on Tuition fee
- 75 % to 79.99 % aggregate marks in qualifying exam; 10 % on Tuition fee
- 65 % to 74.99 % aggregate marks in qualifying exam; 5 % on Tuition fee
* Other Academic Charges includes Development Fund, Examination Fee, Alumni Fee etc.